Saturday, June 4, 2011

Guess who just got back today? (Thin Lizzy)

Brain Smith - that's who.

[While we were waiting for Brian to appear at the arrivals exit I said we should have made up one of those corporate signs to hold up for a laugh. Jacky said yeah - if we did it should say 'Brain Smith'.]

Brian is Jacky's dad. My father-in-law. When I told people at school that he was arriving to stay with us for a few weeks they had no concept of the term father-in-law. When I explained the relationship - my wife's father - they said, "oh - your uncle!" All except for the Sudanese geography teacher who said, "oh - the minister of defence". I like it!

The minister and Wozza (and above Jacky) on Jabeel Hafeet.

I'm reading a great book at the moment. In fact I'm on a roll. The last one was Lee Child's latest, Worth Dying For. A fun, fast read but really brutal. The new one (also from the Wozza library shelves) is Why Men Don't Listen and Women Can't Read Maps by Allan and Barbara Pease.


It's great - full of really pertinent facts about the differences between men and women. And jokes.

How many men does it take to change a roll of toilet paper? It's unknown. It's never happened.
Once I didn't talk to my wife for six months, said the comedian. I didn't want to interrupt.


 

The book provides factual evidence for things we all know to be true - women love to talk (Italian women are the talking champs - 6,000-8,000 words a day plus 2,000-3,000 vocal sounds, plus 8,000-10,000 gestures and body signals); men, of course, talk in their heads.

The book includes a nifty little test to check whether you have a male or female wired brain. I took the test and I am the proud owner of a highly masculine brain. Jacky took it and was in the narrow overlap zone between the masculine and feminine wired brains.
I have found it on-line if you want to take it yourself. http://widmaenner.de/brain/ It only has 30 questions and the on-line version has a built in evaluation. Give it a whirl.

(In a deep bassy masculine voice) Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: