Saturday, July 9, 2011

Show a little faith, there's magic in the night (Scooter)

Phew - we've finally come to the last week of the school year.

The students finished a week or so ago after their exams and only a few have returned for resists in the last week. They have to resit a paper if they achieved less than 50% of the overall total for the year in that subject (actually that's not as easy to do as it sounds!). If they still 'fail' to reach the 50% in the overall total after they've resat (the same exam they sat a week or so before) then they have to repeat the year - this results in quite a few repeaters as you can imagine and lots of anxious parents.

There is no such thing as social promotion in this neck of the woods.

Last week it was only the teachers at school (even then not all of them turned up for various reasons) and this week it will dwindle down further until the final day on Wednesday. The other good thing with this end of year situation is that Cognition allows us to work shorter hours - 8am until 1pm - so, for the last 5 weeks, I have been able to act as a tour guide for Brian and Jade from the early afternoon onwards.

This week we have to prepare for our change of apartment. We are heading across town to the Yellow Jimi apartments on Thursday so our focus will be on checking what we need to bring with us and what we don't. I don't mind this process at all. I enjoy shedding a skin every once and a while and it's always good to refocus on what is important.

For Jacky that means turfing out unwanted shoes and for me it's checking whether I really need Lady Gaga's new CD or not (I don't, it went!).

After this week we can start to get excited about our month long holiday - more on that next post.


Love and peace - Wozza

P.S. The tag line on my profile photo says that I'm a sentimental old fluff. You'd know why if you could see me after I've said goodbye (for a while) to one of the kiddiwinks.

Jade returned to Nu Zild on Friday, safely, and I have that ever so familiar empty feeling in my stomach. It's horrible. I hate it. I know it won't last but it's painful when it's here.

Problem is when I get it, it links me back to all the other painful times I've felt the kids' absence - like leaving SMP in Wellington for her first year at Vic, seeing ALP and Jacky off at Heathrow for his return to NZ, or anytime I am left alone for an extended period!

No comments: