Sunday, July 17, 2011

When your heart's on fire, you must realize, smoke gets in your eyes (the Platters)

I couldn't believe my eyes recently as I walked into The Virgin Megastore at the Burjaman Centre in Dubai. There in front of me was a box set of the 4th season of Mad Men! Gasp!

I grabbed one, fast, and held onto it tightly!

Like any convert I am especially devoted to this show. Although, initially I held out for ages when everyone was raving about it in all the magazines and newspaper reviews. I held out for one reason.

The constant ubiquitous smoking.

Something I need to tell you: I hate smoking. There is no sugar coating this. I hate everything about it - the smell, the look, the addiction.

I really don't understand the need, the willingness to addict yourself to something that is likely to kill you. I know a lot of you reading this are smokers. Maybe you can tell me why intelligent people would do this to themselves?

According to episode 1, season one of Mad Men one theory is it comes from a death wish syndrome. A psychological condition that was actually used to market cigarettes at one stage. Strange but true.

The thing about smoking, though, was that (nearly) everyone around me smoked - my paternal grandfather, my maternal grandmother, my mother and father, all of my aunts and uncles. The sole exception was my paternal grandmother. This is down to the culture of the times. The dangers associated with smoking were papered over by adverts featuring doctors!

So...given my loathing for smoking (I never had an urge to take a puff)...the fact I love watching Mad Men so much tells you an awful lot about the strength of plot, characterisation and attention to detail found in it.

Having bought season four I decided to rewatch the other seasons before launching into it. I've now rewatched season one and it only gets better! Will rewatch the rest after our holiday.

Speaking of which...we have now moved into Yellow Jimi and have got everything ship-shape. We are off this afternoon to Abu Dhabi where we fly to the UK for a few weeks and visit France before getting back to the UAE during Ramadan to start the new school year.

I will aim to blog while on our travels.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: