Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Didn't take too long 'fore I found out what people mean by down and out (Led Zeppelin)

Real books and real sounds from my stereo. It's so good to see you both again. I've missed you, so much.

Reading ebooks is okay but only when you don't have access to the real thing. Listening to an ipod dock is okay but only when you don't have access to the real thing.

It feels like we're on a holiday of sorts (a holiday in limbo land) as we wait to see where the maple leaf is heading next. During my holidays I often get a hankering for reading a Stephen King novel so I visited the Waipawa Community Library.

Reading books from a library is a pleasure I've enjoyed since I was a wee nipper living at 18 Korma Ave., in Royal Oak, Auckland with mum and dad and Ross.

First library mum ever took me to was down the road in Onehunga.


The Carnegie Free Library in Princes Street had been opened in 1912. Apparently, it was one of eighteen in New Zealand built with funds from the American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.

It was a grand building with a large entrance way with a decorative crest and it felt like I was entering a secret Roman Temple.

It was amazing; you could borrow a book to read! You didn't HAVE to buy the book in a shop. You could go to this building and they would let you walk out with a book without any payment. Crazy and amazing. Try getting that idea off the ground these days!!

I LOVED it!

It's no longer a library but I'm happy to know that it still exists in Princes Street even if it is now a restaurant.

The Waipawa library isn't so imposing. Libraries are noisier places these days (they even have a radio playing fer goodness sake). Seems the place is a de facto youth centre come after school drop off zone but the Waipawa book stock is fantastic so I can put up with noisy teens playing games on the computers (what a world we live in huh).

I found two books by Mr King that I had never seen before: Duma Key and 11.22.63

I'm nearly done with Duma Key. So far so Stephen King (weird dolls, zombies, a narrator with mysterious powers, all set in a backwater town in Florida called Duma Key). Perfect for a holiday escape.

Love and peace - Wozza



No comments: