Friday, January 31, 2014

They put raisins in the pork roast and butter on your bread... (Lasse Karlsson)

A student recently asked me what was my favourite film of all time and the answer is always easy: Pelle The Conqueror.

I first saw it with Sam and Stas Sivak in Nelson in the early 1990s.

I bought a VHS copy of the film a short time later and showed SWMBO and the weirdest thing happened. 

She loved it too.

Normally our tastes in movies are very different. If proof is required - Woody Allen has her running for the hills while I love his movies (Stardust Memories is my favourite but Bananas, Mighty Aphrodite, Hannah and Her Sisters, Manhattan, and Annie Hall are all in my top movies of all time list).

Somehow we are united in our love of this long Swedish film with English subtitles set at the end of the 19th century. 

A brief run down from IMBD: A boat filled with Swedish emigrants comes to the Danish island of Bornholm. Among them are Lasse and his son Pelle who move to Denmark to find work. They find employment at a large farm, but are treated as the lowest form of life. Pelle starts to speak Danish but is still harassed as a foreigner. But none of them wants to give up their dream of finding a better life than the life they left in Sweden.

There are so many haunting images in the film. There is so much laughter, so much sadness and so much strength. 

I love great stories about relationships - especially fathers and sons, I love stories about rites of passage and I love films that are inspirational. 

Pelle The Conqueror is special.

It's my favourite film of all time. Nothing comes close.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: