Saturday, February 28, 2015

I'd pay the devil to replace her (Hall and Oates)

Had an awful experience recently.

Jade was staying with us on one of her breaks and SWMBO asked me to get a movie for us to watch that night. Pootling off in the Purdsmobile, I ended up at The Warehouse in Hastings.

My first choice was Guardians Of The Galaxy but they were sold out. It then became a toss up between Gone Girl (R16, Graphic violence, sex scenes and something else - I forget) and I Walk Among The Tombstones starring Liam Neeson (R16 Violence, sexual violence and language). 

Thinking I was getting an actioner like Taken or Non Stop or The Grey I opted for Liam.

Bad mistake. 

We started watching it and got a little way in before the uncomfortable feeling got too much. I said, "I hate stories like this" and everyone agreed and I stopped the movie.

Liam - what were you thinking??? To be fair your rather embarrassed looking phoned in performance actually does you credit.

It was yuck. Just yuck. I avoid serial killer story lines and this one with a sexual context was just plain yuck. I was not prepared to wait 2 hours for the pay off when the evil doers get their just desserts. Wozza's official rating: AVOID IT!

Shoulda chosen Gone Girl.


Coincidentally, a few days later I was conferencing with a student and the promo for GG was on her computer. I mentioned my recent experience and the student (Rowena) told me to read the book first - she was glowing in her praise.

So I bought it and so far so good (are three 'so's in a sentence allowed?). The psychological anatomy of a marriage plot line is interesting. So's the his and her alternating chapters (hers are in the form of a diary) as a narrative device.

After reading some stuff like this:
[other women] who believe that husbandly capitulation - yes, honey, okay, honey - is the same as concord. 
I couldn't help wondering, though, what a 16/17 year old student like Rowena is actually getting from that.  When I asked her she agreed and said it was the thriller story line she liked not the nuances of the relationship.

While I'm reading it, it's actually those nuances that interest me more.

I'm only a third of the way through and so far it's not much of a thriller but I'm sure it'll turn into one. Why am I so sure?

Cos the book cover tells me so - 'intricately twisted and deliciously sinister' according to Courier Mail (whatever that is).

Sounds cool - don't tell me how it ends (or what happened to Amazing Amy).

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: