Thursday, April 5, 2018

Journey to the centre of the mind (The Amboy Dukes)

Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash

Middle layers: political views, social attitudes and so on.

All over the shop is how you'd describe my political views.

At the moment I remain a fan of Jacinda Ardern, our PM, and her relentless positivity. Happily she appears to have stepped up well but whether it's National or Labour in parliament, little seems to change substantially in Nu Zild.

The tyranny of distance and size makes us largely irrelevant as a world power.

When I started voting in the late seventies I followed my parents leaning and voted National. Since then I'm probably best described as a 'floating' voter: given the circumstances of the day, I've voted for National, Labour, Values, and the Greens.

Anyway the wind blows.

Doesn't add much to the brand, that revelation of non slavish adherence to a particular party, does it. 

Or does it? I'm persuadable and a thinker, plus - as a classic Libran - I'm always looking for balance and I feel I've attained that over the years in terms of what can be grandly called 'my political views'.

Social attitudes! You're up.

Oh dear. To be fair, a number of names have been slung my way in this regard over the years by those who know and love me the most: anti-social; snob; recluse, hermit, boring...ahem, you get the picture.

Mea culpa. Phatic communion (a.k.a. small talk) is not a strength! 

Awkwardness in party situations, a few panic attacks in situations of overwhelming noise and chronic self-consciousness have, at times, made me retreat from situations in the past that make me uncomfortable. 

Often that translates to me enjoying my own company, at best hovering at the edge of things, and being an uncooperative social partner for my nearest and dearest.

Perhaps this is why I love my anonymity in London, riding the London Underground, watching films in movie theatres and listening to music on my own.

As brand ingredients, these facets of my personality are not too helpful either. 

Seems to me the further we go into the heart of the onion, the less relevant things are to my brand, rather than more. Dunno.

Next up in the journey to the centre of the onion: inner layers - spiritual values, deep fears, hopes, goals, fantasies, secrets and so on. 

Gosh.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: