Sunday, April 28, 2019

So eat eat eat you eat eat eat you eat eat eat eat eat eat (Patti Smith)



Wie geht's?

I was panicking.

For the first time in I can't remember how long, I had nothing to read.

The last books I brought with me from England have long been read and the two cheap Warehouse finds are also done and in the recycling bin. 

I checked Mabelle's book case while staying there recently but the bodice rippers and Jodi Picoult novels did nothing for me. 

It was a real problem - thanks to being recently in the UK, I'm a few months ahead in my music magazines and waiting for NZ to catch up. That is a pain.

So, I asked Jade for help. She came up with a pile of books for me to check, and that's where shortlisted the books in the picture above come from.

Night School is one I read recently but I can reread Lee Child books pretty effortlessly. Those Feet is a book I gave to William and saw in their bookcase. Both those came with me to the Hawke's Bay.

That leaves the Picoult novel (still not my thing - it went straight back into her collection), The Woman In The Window - which I started reading and also put back as the central character wasn't likeable at all, and Eat Pray Love.

As it didn't appear to be written for me (the front cover says: 'EPL has been passed from woman to woman like the secret of life'), I started with some trepidation. 

I shouldn't have worried - and I'm wondering why it's marketed at women exclusively - I'm 104 pages in and still engrossed in Liz's wacky post divorce/ post rebound travelogue to Italy and elsewhere. I haven't seen the Julia Roberts film version so maybe that helps (?).

Why wouldn't men like this story? It's a great insight to one person's resolution of their mental health issues and that should surely touch a universal chord.

Blokes - don't be put off!

Love and peace - Dulcie Purdy's eldest son

No comments: