Monday, August 26, 2019

I'm a spy, in the house of love (The Doors)


Wie geht's? 

We selected Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy to view last night on Netflix.

Many a time, I've attempted other John Le Carre (and Len Deighton) adaptations, including the mini-series version of TTSS. 

Each time I think (to myself) that spy dramas could be fun (!). What am I thinking???

Each time the convoluted plot and dry as ice delivery by the actors playing Smiley and other MI5 types have left me (out in the) cold (war).

But, I was swayed by Gary Oldman's Oscar nomination and a stellar cast including the always great John Hurt.

And the reviews - positive and upbeat...so what the heck.

Caution was thrown to the wind. What a fool. Will I never learn?

Jacky lasted about 20 mins and went to bed. I soldiered on in bloody-minded fashion, desperately trying to figure out who was who, and what was what.

Hopeless. Those Russian dolls are a fitting image but I couldn't keep track of the layers and the time shifts.

By the time it ended, I was thoroughly confused and rueing the decision to keep ploughing ahead in forlorn hope that I'd finally get the gist and then understand, finally, the appeal of spy dramas.

I won't be making this particular mistake again any time soon.

Maybe in a couple of years.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: