Wednesday, February 23, 2022

We skipped the light fandango (Procol Harum)

RIP Gary Brooker

Wie geht's?

Coming to you from Gisborne again as I am visiting the Gisborne Campus.

Sad news released today about Gary Brooker's death, from cancer. He was 76.

I have turned into something of a Procol Harum completist in the last 5 or so years. When I say completist, I mean that I'm keen to collect all of the albums they recorded and Gary Brooker's solo albums.

There is something other-worldly about their music and their appeal. Marty Scorsese is also a fan, particularly of their A Salty Dog album and he once suggested that 'the point was not so much what the songs were saying, specifically, as what they were suggesting to each of us, individually'.

Mmm - yes, I know you could say that about many bands and their songs but Gary Brooker's vocals just seem to float dreamily into the atmosphere while also being anchored by a bluesy-ness. 

Attention will predictably focus on Whiter Shade Of Pale as that was a huge and enduring hit but go behind that and there is a huge treasure trove of Procol Harum and Gary Brooker songs.

I will leave you with three representatives: A Salty Dog; Homburg; and the 1971 live version of Conquistador.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: