Saturday, March 5, 2022

"More women are murdering people these days,” says Joyce. “If you ignore the context, it is a real sign of progress.”



Wie geht's?

Newly purchased records and CDs have been piling up, unheard. Television is unwatched. Gardening (including tree branch chopping and pinecone gathering) has stopped.

Blame Richard Osman.

I know him for his comedic brilliance and wit on Pointless and other UK game shows. He's quick, so he's particularly brilliant as a guest panelist on Would I Lie To You?

When I saw his first book - The Thursday Murder Club in the Little Red Bookstore, I had to have it. 

It was great - the blighter is a first class writer as well as everything else! Not fair really. I read it quickly. It's quintessentially English, in the way that Agatha Christie, McVities digestives, and 8 out of 10 Cats do Countdown are all quintessentially English.

I normally finish a book and reach for the next one that catches my eye on my reading pile. Not this time. This time I bought his sequel novel - The Man Who Died Twice from Whitcoulls. Same characters as before and same brilliant writing.

So, that has occupied my waking hours not devoted to work and commuting and household chores. Which isn't a lot really. So, I'm looking forward to this weekend.

Here's an excerpt to whet your appetite:

“That twinkle in his eye was undimmed. The twinkle that gave an entirely undeserved suggestion of wisdom and charm. The twinkle that could make you walk down the aisle with a man almost ten years your junior and regret it within months. The twinkle you soon realise is actually the beam of a lighthouse, warning you off the rocks.”
Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: