Sunday, August 6, 2023

This trip is necessary (Voyage 34 - Steven Wilson)



Wie geht's?

This week, I'm really enjoying reading Steven Wilson's autobiography - Limited Edition Of One.

Haven't heard of Steven Wilson? That's okay - he is a multi-talented musician who works mainly in musical sub-genres away from the mainstream. I've collected all of his records since 1993's Up The Downstair (he works within many musical contexts - this one is from a band he leads called Porcupine Tree).

Although he's ten years younger than me, and he grew up in Hemel Hempstead rather than Auckland, his was a similar home to mine, and we share similar interests and sensibilities. He calls himself a music nerd (see his podcast - The Album Years) who loves lists and has eclectic music tastes.

Having two parents who loved each other, one younger brother who he maintains a distant relationship with, and a father who was an electronics genius: I can relate! Like Nick Hornby, he's another long lost brother.

Anyway, in one chapter Steven describes his favourite record shops (like I did in my last post). One shop he loves was owned by two brothers who were quirky music snobs and it was terrifying buying music from them. Steven loves that, but we differ a tad here as you will know if you have read that last post.

One anonymous reader left me a comment saying it was a fair but brutal summation and I've been reflecting on that comment. I wasn't being fair, and it was brutal.

I may have done the owner a bit of a disservice. He isn't actually as weird as I stated. I think he genuinely loves music and he's no weirder than other music nerds like me and Steven. 

I'm not sure why I said he was obnoxious to deal with either. That wasn't fair and it was lazy on my part.

When buying records from him, it was a bit like Steven describes when visiting These Records in London. It was uncomfortable dealing with someone with an air of music snob elitism.

He always gave me the impression that I was an unworthy recipient of his albums. I guess that's what added to the weird aspect of visiting his shop.

One day, while I was humming and harring over a NZ pressing of an album on Apple Records that he was wanting $50 for he said - you might as well buy it now, you'll regret it and be back later. And he was right, damn it, so I bought it!

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: