Saturday, July 3, 2021

Contentment is like a magic stone; everything it touches changes to gold - happiness (Hsing Yun)

Wie geht's?

This one is about contentment in general and mine in particular. 

In the lunch room this week conversation turned to my eating habits.

I know - clearly a slow week.

I'd joined lunch conversation late, having just completed a brisk walk around the sports park.

After I made obvious a move away from Terese's egg lunch to another table and reexplained my aversion to eggs (thanks dad), my colleagues expressed anew their interest stroke amazement in my choice of lunch menu - a small tin of lemon pepper flavour tuna spread on 6 cruskits, and the fact that I have the same thing every day, while they heat up elaborate left overs or delectable looking salads and so forth.

Sorry - long sentence. Here's some short ones...

I am not, nor have I ever been, a foodie. Shock, horror, probe!

My tastes are boring (Graham Purdy believed that a meal wasn't a meal without potatoes and never held with 'foreign muck'). So, I am very happy with my lunch choice - no thinking is required; I love the taste and it's quick and easy. Job done.

They then asked me what I had for dinner and I laughed.

Because, erm, tuna bake, was the answer.

If Jacky wants to make my day she'll buy a tuna bake combo from New World - which makes a meal for four.

She makes up a big basin of the stuff and I enjoy it over three consecutive dinner nights.

I'm very content with that.

As Venerable Master Hsing Yun says - contentment equals happiness.

My colleagues again expressed interest stroke amazement at this as they then meditated on their daily rituals of trying to satisfy their families with interesting and different meals.

If there is only suffering, then what is the meaning of life? (Hsing Yun again - he's very wise!)

Happiness can be found anywhere and mine is found in simple plain meals, and an influx of Omega 3.

Luckily Jacky and I both see food as fuel, therefore, we don't spend a lot of time agonising over our food choices. That food choice doesn't influence our mood or mean much because tomorrow is another day and when I'm into my three days of the tuna bake regime I don't think about food much at all (maybe a fleeting sense of anticipation pootling along on the commute home in the purdsmobile). 

I think I'm lucky in my singular contentment. It means I'm not in the least interested in cooking programmes on the television; we own one store bought cookbook - the Edmonds one obviously - I'm a proud Nu Zildner; and I don't care about expensive food gadgets.

Couple of caveats to end: Not thinking about food is a luxury that I'm very aware is a privileged position and I should point out Jacky does not necessarily approve of my tuna routine but she knows I enjoy it and my contentment makes her content.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: