Monday, April 1, 2024

Every day a little sadder, a little madder, someone get me a ladder (Emerson Lake & Palmer)

PJ, Wozza and Annette on Jackett's Island, Motueka, 1994


Wie geht's?

Recently, I learnt of Peter Joyce's death in early March, from Annette.

PJ and I became friends when I joined the staff at Waimea College in 1990. I became Head of English the same year, and PJ was one of the teachers in the English department.

An accidental but excellent English teacher (he accidentally got into the wrong recruiting line at University), he was extremely quick witted and funny, quietly spoken, principled, extremely bright, a sceptic, an enthusiastic tennis player (we'd play on weekends sometimes and every Friday after school with two of his Nayland College mates), and...well, we just got on and enjoyed each other's company, really.

Together we produced the school's end of year magazine for four years, were part of an all-conquering pub quiz team, aimed to outdo each other's Tetris scores (he always beat my latest high score), laughed at all sorts of crazy things, and we discussed grammar issues and music endlessly.

He suffered from tinnitus, and one day I forgot that when he was complaining in the staff room about the loudness of a visiting rock band, I jokingly and ill-advisedly, said, "Lighten up, PJ". He wasn't impressed and told me so.

It would became an in-joke but I've never forgotten that lesson.

After I left Waimea College to go back to Auckland to work, we kept in touch. He set me up for a job in China in 2012 that saved our bacon and we often discussed the absurd case that was brought against him. PJ wrote a book about it - very Peter, that response.

Even though I've not visited Nelson in many years, I find it hard to grasp that he's passed away.

So, PJ - I'll play Jack Bruce's Songs For A Tailor album, and Emerson Lake And Palmer's Still...You Turn Me On for you today (we often puzzled over the nonsense lyric that I've quoted above), and give thanks for having met you. 

As with all of the students you taught, my life is the richer for it.

Love and peace to Nida and Ken - WNP

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

💜💙💜