Wednesday, April 24, 2024

So precious (all the things you can't live without) (Tim Finn)



Wie geht's?

I manage to sneak in a couple of Netflix sports' documentaries while Jacky is otherwise engaged. Recently - Johnny Football, about Johnny Manziel, a quarterback at Texas A&M, who flamed out, the other - season 3 of Sunderland 'Til I Die.

Both focus on the passionate culture around sport. In each case, whether it be American Football or football, the local team is a huge part of the town's identity. The title for each says it all - Johnny Football - the boy/man becomes indistinguishable from the game and Sunderland 'Til I Die sums up the allegiance and commitment Mackem's have for their team. 

That made me think about growing up and playing football for one club in Auckland. 

Although I had the commitment, taking myself off to Seymour Park age 4 to play for Eden A.F.C., and I heard loads of English and Scottish voices from dads and coaches, I didn't experience the same blind devotion to the club, from either myself or others.


The eagle eyed will find two other club stalwarts in both pictures - Grant King and his dad, Bob. 


I stayed with the club until the late eighties, as the above photo shows, but then drifted away from playing. I'm fond of Eden A.F.C, but it didn't take over my whole life, as it does for Mackems. 

I have watched rugby in NZ for many years and the parochial passion for a local team is tepid compared to my experiences supporting Arsenal in the UK.

I miss that passion.

I put it down to the laid-back Kiwi classless persona and our adherence to equity and fair play. We're more English than the English in this regard. The desperate win at all costs attitude of Aussies is not for us. We still remember the underarm bowling incident and Andy Haden's shameful action attempting to win a penalty against Wales.

So, unless it's the All Blacks, when it comes to supporting 'our' team we shrug if we lose (with an All Black loss the country wrings its hands and is depressed en masse, at least it used to be - even that has changed I feel).

When we win we shake hands stoically and don't get big headed.

Our population and geographical splits have something to do with it too. NZ is so spread out and thinly populated. In stark contrast, North London rivalry between Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur is super intense. I've taught in North London and the red half of the school loved me, but the white half got stuck in on a daily basis! Again, I do miss that.

Was good to be reminded of that passion while watching those documentaries.

Love and peace - NZ Gooner Woz (come on Arsenal!)

No comments: