Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Salvation à la mode and a cup of tea (Jethro Tull)

The best advertising isn't advertising so says Chapter three in Velocity (the brilliant book by Ahmed/ Olander).

This is the third new law for a world gone digital*.

The goal is to create connections with customers and earn their loyalty by serving them.

This means a shift from selling a product to selling a service.

I like this. I think it's right too.

Jeff Bezos (Amazon.com) says 'advertsing is the price you pay for having an unremarkable product'. 

Nice.

I was again sucked into watching some of the Commonwealth games on TV in the last month. I didn't want to but I'm glad I did because I saw some remarkable advertising from my bank - the ANZ bank.

Watch this:



You're made of pretty stony stuff if that doesn't melt your heart.

ANZ ran a series of adverts on this theme, using a variety of NZ games athletes.

Genius. 

I have had zero loyalty to the ANZ bank to this point. I was a National Bank customer before ANZ swallowed them up.

Watching these adverts made me warm to ANZ. They provided a service and then told me about it.

The best advertising isn't advertising.

Love and peace - Wozza

* The second law? It's easier done than said. Just do it!

No comments: