Tuesday, January 30, 2018

I'm just looking for some tush (ZZ Top)

Photo by Leio McLaren on Unsplash
I been up, I been down.Take my word, my way around. I ain't askin' for much. Just some tush balance.

Work-life balance has been on my mind this week thanks to an excellent piece by Austin Kleon. You can read it here. I'll wait.

In my past lives, I've become a happy slave to a job (Macleans College), I've also tried the opposite and treated a job as a place - not somewhere to invest my heart and soul (Waimea College). And I've learned. But I ain't got balance. 

As a classic Libra type, I like balance.

Bringing balance is central to some of my favourite movie themes. In Star Wars, the Jedi and Sith battle it out - opposites and Anakin Skywalker is supposed to bring balance to the force. He doesn't. He turns into (spoiler alert) Darth Vader! In The Matrix when Neo asks the Oracle about Smith, the Oracle explains that Smith is Neo's opposite and his negative.

And this is the thing - balance is impossible. Either the Sith are in control and the Jedi are wiped out, then returning, or the multiple Smiths are battling Neo.

No one ever gets balance right because, well, balance is boring. No drama. No white heat tension going on.

Wanting balance is wanting it all. And that just doesn't happen. Ask George Costanza. Ask Woody Allen. Ask Larry David.

So instead, I'm just trying to live my life the best I can - juggling relationships, reading, music, blogs, social media, music clubs, work, friends, art and all the other things that make up my life.

Love and peace - your pal, Wozza

No comments: