Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Pass notes #1


Wie geht's? I'm well, thanks for asking. You?

I'm into 49 UP: Ya wot?

49 UP, it's a series of documentary films: Is it about a really tall building's lift getting stuck?

No. It's an old Granada TV programme that first aired in 1964: I thought Granada just did Coronation Street, so they did and I'll tell you no more so I will.

Apparently not. Although there are similarities as this chronicles the changes every 7 years of 9 people: So it started as 7 UP (ha ha!)

Actually it did. Then 14 UP, 21 UP and so on: Yeah, I get it it - until 49 UP presumably.

Indeedy - it looks like that was the last edition. And it's wonderful. As I was also 7 in 1964, it really resonates: I've just googled it and there's a 56 UP as well which will rip your undies. It looks pretty cool - you'll need to get it. How do you know about it anyway?

Up until 28 UP, I watched these in New Zealand and loved them, then I lost touch until the lovely shop assistant in HMV ordered the box set for me: Good old HMV. Just you watching?

When I explained the premise to Jacky she poo pooed but she quickly became hooked to the unfolding drama of real lives being exposed every 7 years - we're currently watching 35 Up: Jacky poo pooing? Really? 

Do say: We don't change - the person we are at 7 is who we really are. The rest is just tinkering and fluff.

Don't say: Has to end at some point.

No comments: