Sunday, March 28, 2021

I am he as you are he as you are me a nd we are all together (The Beatles)


Wie geht's?

Thanks to reading Anne Tyler's A Spool Of Blue Thread, I've been thinking a lot about the various stages we go through in life between being a child and old age.

Then Seth Godin put this on his blog:

And who are you really?
There’s a desire to celebrate our “authentic” self.

But perhaps our considered self, the one that shows up when we’re doing our best to be consistent, generous and professional–that’s our authentic self. And the voice that slips out when we’re tired, stressed or busy is simply an incomplete and lesser version of who we actually are.

We’re the sum total of the interactions we choose to create and the changes we contribute.
This made me reflect on my 'authentic' self and I tend to think it's just the present tense me. Whatever you see right now - that's my authentic self. So, yes, the sum total is the real me.

I do like how he has the 'considered' self, though. I take it that's the reflective self that you are reading right now.

Currently, I'm reading The Vivero Letter, an old Desmond Bagley adventure book. It was first published in 1968 and I first read it as a young boy.

Reading it again now is quite fun, as in the real world of 1968 John Lennon and The Beatles existed and they are alluded to a few times in the story as a cultural reference point for the times.

I'm certainly a very different person to the young boy of 1968 (I was 11) but yet I'm still very much the same person in 2021.  

Love and peace - Wozza

P.S. In my previous post I indicated that I may have been inconsistent with my own children re a movie on a birthday tradition. However, Jade reminds me that there were quite a few - including Tarzan (the Disney animated one); The Great Mouse Detective; Corpse Bride; Nightmare Before Christmas; and various Star Wars movies (the reboots plus Episode 1, 2, 3). I'm pretty sure the other three will be able to remember others.

No comments: