Sunday, October 16, 2022

Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain (Gerry Marsden)

Tukituki River on the right.


Wie geht's?

The joy of walking has been a topic for me a few times before.

The study break has given me a great opportunity to walk with Jacky. I cherish those moments.

At work, I walk around the Hastings' Mitre 10 Sports' Park each lunchtime. Or, at least, that's my aim, weather and meetings allowing. I enjoy that - it's a chance to appreciate life while taking a break from work and getting exercise. My current record is 21 minutes around the park. But it's no where as good as walking with Jacky.

Paradoxically, living in the country doesn't allow for much walking. Generally, roadsides are dangerous with cars travelling at speed, and there are often no tracks or footpaths. We do walk to the local Four Square in Takapau but that's not very far away and various dogs line the route.

So, most days during the break we have driven the 12 minutes to Waipukarau to use the walking/cycling track beside the river. We've tried both directions and settled on a 30 minute there and back to the area by the recycling centre. 

Our pace matches well, although Jacky can walk faster than I can. Her top speed is my slow jog! So, like much in life (and marriage), we compromise and settle into a great rhythm and zip along nicely. 

With the study break now finished, it's back to lunch time walks and the cross trainer when I can, until December.

But, I'll miss our daily walks.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: