Wednesday, January 10, 2024

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time (James Taylor)

Photo by Folco Masi on Unsplash

Wie geht's?

When Mrs Purdy and I were discussing something the other day, I said something along the lines of - oh you've done that for about 20 years - and then we revised that estimate to maybe the last ten years.

Nothing of great consequence but it did make me realise that 2024 contains a few key milestones for us.

On February 26 it will be 41 years since I met Jacky Smith at a fancy dress party in New Plymouth (co-incidentally, it will also be 41 years since I met Patrick Cameron at the very same party).

An equally momentous date this year will be April 21 - our 40th wedding anniversary.

Forty years is a long time, well over half our lives have been spent in a continuous mutually monogamous relationship. Yes, something to celebrate but, my point is, it hasn't felt like 40 years at all. That number is weird ( and there will be no gratuitous jokes here either thankyou - along the lines of - feels like longer).

That previous conversation I mentioned (20 years, no, 10) came as something of a shock. Twenty years is a fair chunk. But 40!!

Crazy talk - feels like a few, for sure, but not 40.

Speaking of that number - our eldest child turns 40 this year as well (December 19) and I know he's very thoughtful and aware of that milestone. Scarlett Johansson, Mark Zuckerberg, Prince Harry also turn 40 this year. Just sayin'.

Who and what else turns 40 in 2024?

The Apple Mac was unveiled in 1984 by Steve Jobs.

Remarkable. That certainly was one giant leap for mankind, but still, it pales into insignificance compared to 1984's effect on my world.

Love and peace - Mr Purdy

P.S. Book update - one down, six to go.

No comments: