Wednesday, June 1, 2022

I am not spilling over the edges, and I am not easily found (Sinéad Lohan)



Wie geht's?

Recently, I read an interesting article by Thomas Oppong about the need to slow down the pace of our modern busy lives.

He's right - all too often, we fail to take the time to be still and enjoy the moment.

Central take away: Slowing down is essential for mental clarity.

I am attempting to embrace this idea by having a goal of walking for 30 minutes during three lunch times a week, blocking out some non-contacts during the week to think and write, and aiming for an empty email in-box.

So far so good on the first two and an epic fail on the third. My personal email account needs addressing. Sadly, I need to unsubscribe from some regulars because I just don't have the time to read them.

My school email is another case in point. I can easily get 10 or so emails an hour that need triaging - i.e. either action, delete, or file.

Those can build up quickly - so that, like everyone - I can get swamped. These days people expect an answer as soon as possible (I'm not innocent btw) so doing a task or taking a non-contact often means getting behind with responses.

I've read various guides to getting on top of emails and none have worked for me yet. I don't want to be a slave to my emails, but it seems this is now an unpleasant fact of modern life.

If anyone out there has a top tip for controlling emails, I'm all ears!

Anyway, I do like the suggestions for slowing down in that article.

My four favourites are:


Love and Peace - Wozza

No comments: