Monday, June 6, 2022

I keep seeing these reflections deep in the currents back to me (Israel Nash)

Photo by Tyler Nix on Unsplash


Wie geht's?

Here are ten things I thought worth sharing:

1) Reading Celestial Navigation (Anne Tyler) was an interesting experience. I've mentioned her books a lot in my blogs. She has an amazing ability to get inside her character's heads. Jeremy is a piece of work!


2) A quote from 365 Days with the Saints is a great way to start my day. Each day features a different saint and a quote. Today's was Blessed Anne of Saint Bartholmew: Silence is precious; by keeping silence and knowing how to listen to God, the soul grows in wisdom and God teaches it what it cannot learn from men.


3) Concurrently with whatever novel I'm reading, I also dip into Lennon on Lennon - a compilation of interviews. John on performing live on stage: You put yourself in front of the public, and it's like the Roman theatre...it's a very sort of masochistic scene to stand up there day after day, offering yourself as a target for their love or their hate, depending on how good you are or how they feel that night.


4) Rest in peace. The last Mojo magazine I read (Feb 2022) had obituaries for Graeme Edge (The Moody Blues' drummer); Maureen Cleave (journalist who wrote excellent pieces on The Beatles in the sixties. her 1966 interview with John contained the 'We're bigger than Jesus' idea that created headaches for the fabs); David Longdon (Big Big Train singer who died accidentally); and Billy Hinsche (honorary Beach Boy) amongst others. 

 
5) Gorky's Zygotic Mynci's How I Long To Feel That Summer In My Heart plus Israel Nash albums Lifted and (especially) Topaz (on vinyl) have been my soundtrack this week. Blissed out summery sounds have helped with the cold snap as we officially started winter.


6) I dug out the DVD player on the weekend to watch a couple of films that I bought years ago but forgot about. Allied was good value. A Robert Zemeckis film starring Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard. Billed as a romantic thriller - it was enjoyable! 

 

7) The Richard Linklater trilogy - Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight, has also been sitting on the shelf for a few years. I bought it while living in the UK a few years ago after loving Boyhood. The late autumn, early winter cold/overcast/rainy afternoons have been perfect for catching up with these three romantic dramas.


8) Ian McEwan's Sweet Tooth is my latest book. I've read some great books by him, but I've also stopped reading a few of them a couple of chapters in. Sweet Tooth, with a female protangonist, is of the former variety thank goodness.


9) Waves was a NZ band from the seventies. Their eponymous album (a second one, added to the first on that Spotify link, was recorded but not issued until years later as a bonus disc) is a bone fide NZ classic. It's the-three-amigos' album of the week!


10) Cheekily, here's a link to another six via my Jewels For The Thirsty weblog.


Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: