Sunday, March 4, 2012

Women hold up half the sky (Mao Tse-Tung)

On Saturdays, around lunch time, I am to be found reading The National while sipping a cappuccino and munching on an almond cookie in a cafe at Al Jimi Mall. I'm there so that Presangi (who does some cleaning in the apartments) can work without me walking all over the newly cleaned floors.

Some great stories in today's edition that I feel the urge to tell you about.

!) Sport section - a great story about Wadha Al Bader, a triathlon athlete from Kuwait. You know this is a great story because it came BEFORE the Premiere League previews and it held my attention.

Wadha is a gutsy young woman who has an awesome attitude. She hasn't been doing triathlons long and has to train in a man made lagoon in southern Kuwait (with only massive jellyfish for company) because she couldn't find a pool that would allow her to train.

She's in Abu Dhabi for an international triathlon competition.

Here's the full story; it's worth a read I promise - http://www.thenational.ae/sport/other-sport/kuwaiti-cant-image-my-life-without-triathlons

2) The weekend edition comes with a nifty little supplement. This one had a great series of interviews with seven women who are in positions of power and/or influence. Some seriously cool women!

My favourite bits: Nawal Al Hosany was asked 'what defines your leadership style?' Her answer: Junior staff need mentoring, while senior experienced staff should be empowered. Wooah - wonder if any of my bosses were reading this? I wouldn't think so.


Catherine Fulconis is asked, 'what is your source of inspiration?'. Her answer: I'm curious.

Again - here's the full guff: http://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/seven-powerful-women-on-top-of-their-own-fields-share-their-secrets


3) In the same supplement I came across an interesting quote from Margaret Thatcher - Being powerful is like being a lady.If you have to tell people you are, you aren't.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: