Thursday, February 11, 2016

Travelling trust across the new day (Roy Harper)


One of the first things I do with my classes is introduce myself. A no brainer you say? 

Well yeah, but I take some time to show via photos who I am in terms of my family, my blogs, my teaching career and my interests.

I have no idea if it means anything to my students or not but I found myself doing it today in a slightly detached way which scared me a little.

A photo of four generations of my family is one I especially love - I've featured it a few times on this blog. I think I needed to preserve some space around the photo. I found myself telling my students that the only people still alive in the photo and my brother and me.

It felt like a vaguely awkward moment.

I scooted on quickly to the next photo because I'd maybe revealed too much.

How much is too much? Were they in fact a tad uncomfortable or was it just me? It was a kinda 'yes' but kinda 'no' too.

It was a weird moment. A moment of trust when you hold your breath and hope.

This post has two photos that my cousin Christine sent me recently that I'm sharing in the same spirit of trust and hope. 

I didn't remember anything about the one of me - I must have sent it to her when I was a teenager, while living at Ramelton Road in Auckland. 

[BTW - my T shirt is a Wozza original, a screen printed Apple with Ringo's The Beatles drum legend from my own design while listening to Bowie's Hunky Dory (it has dye on the label!) and I'm holding the cup for winning the 1976 MAGS badminton title.]



This other one of my paternal grandparents was taken on their sixties tour of England.

I love both photos for their surprise and their brilliant capturing of a unique moment.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: