Thursday, November 4, 2021

Time goes by so fast, people go in and out of your life. You must never miss the opportunity to tell those people how much they mean to you (Karen Blixen)

 

Nita with dad in Queensland 1994.

Wie geht's?

Last Saturday, my stepmother, Nita Purdy, passed away.

Nita is, was, the last person on earth who knew me from birth to now. She was chosen as one of mum's bridesmaids in 1953 so was all class. 

When mum passed away in 1983 Nita got in touch with dad to offer condolences and eventually things became romantically entwined and she became dad's second wife in 1987.

I was best man and did a speech at their wedding. My mother was a great judge of character and so I had no problem welcoming her (genuinely) to the whanau.

The marriage didn't last though and by 2009, when dad passed away, they had been separated for some time.

But, for a while there, they were a happy couple, and Nita was a terrific grandmother to the Purdettes.

However, she was a real technophobe so there was no way I could email her or have a relationship via Facebook. Instead, Nita was old school - landlines and letters via NZ Post.

As things sometimes happen, we lost touch with each other over the last few years, which I regret. When her niece got in touch with the news this week I was rocked a little.

She was a very genuine person, with a great sense of humour and an infectious laugh. She was very empathetic and cared for people. Surprise surprise, my mum picked a good one to have as a friend.

We are all richer for having had Nita in our lives. May she rest in peace.

Love - Warren

No comments: