Thursday, December 8, 2022

The way



Wie geht's?

Toward Compostella (Walking the Camino de Santiago) is a terrific book by Hawke's Bay resident, Catharina Van Bohemen.

Serendipitously, I found it a few weekends ago while browsing in Wardini's Books in Havelock North.  Jacky and Michelle had gone dress shopping, I'm not sure where Gavin had headed off too, and I pootled off to browse in Poppy's bookstore - only to find an empty shop!

Are these hard times for bookstores? I don't know - whatever the reason, Poppy's in Havelock North is no more. So I headed instead to Wardini's - a great bookshop a few streets away.

They cater to a wide demographic with young children, teenagers, adults, and niche interests all pretty much covered. I used to buy a lot from them when I was Head of English at Woodford House.

Anyway - I was browsing when I noticed the title - I've long been fascinated by the idea of walking the Camino. Turns out Catharina is a local - a Havelock North resident, which made it interesting for other reasons.

The book is also a beautiful artifact - great cover, lovely design and layout, paper quality is high end, and it's a perfect size - it feels great to hold in your hands!

The dream of walking the Camino like my friend Paul has done a few times was rekindled by Catharina.

One day...

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: