Saturday, October 2, 2021

Yes my name it is written in the sand and it cannot escape your sweeping hand (Jack Bruce/ Pete Brown)



Wie geht's?

Venerable master Hsing Yun divides life into four different levels: material (basic requirements like work, food, shelter); spiritual (love, exercise, improvements to our knowledge and wisdom); cultural (such as literature, music, art); religious (based on having a belief).

A couple of those levels are the focus of my other weblogs. Which means...it's time for a cultural catch-up on Wozza's Place

Viewing wise we are chewing through a couple of series on Netflix - Blindspot and Chicago Med. Both are okay but if you are the type who struggles with suspension of disbelief then I suggest you pass. Plus, I spend minutes each episode of Chicago Med looking at the ceiling during the realistic medical procedures. Nurse Jacky enjoys it though. Blindspot is ridiculous in a B grade kind of way, so we are hanging in there. Adam and Jill from work has recommended Vigil and we'll try that one too.

Music is always around me. I now have a two week term break from school so plenty of time to indulge. Currently I'm undergoing a catch up on bands like The Kinks and Genesis who I've dipped into over the years but in a cherry picking way. It's great discovering a band's back catalogue without needing to be a completist in the case of those two bands.

Also in music news: Greg, Kevin and I have started our version of an album club (each week we take it in turns to select an album to listen to and comment on - harmless innocent fun during these lockdown times - you should try it!)

In terms of art, I am waiting for The Beatles' Get Back to come out on Roctober 15, it's a tie in to the 50th anniversary editions of Let It Be, and I have a couple of graphic novels to catch up on including Mike McCartney's Family Album and Max Ernst's surrealistic novel in collage Une semaine de bonté.

Books that are on the go at present are Ian McEwan's Solar (again - it's okay and captured me in sections - a case of I was too far in to give it up) and Mike Barnes' A New Day Yesterday (subtitled UK progressive rock and the 1970s - wooah - am I the demographic for that one or what!)

And in other news: 

Have I mentioned before what lousy luck we have with cats? I feel like I have.

This week we said farewell to Rolly and Stevie. Sadly, during the fortnight that we had them, we discovered they had a variety of diseases that we couldn't live with, so, after some hard decisions were made, Jacky delivered them back to the SPCA.

Generally, we just don't have great luck with cats. They are either run over on the road, disappear during the night, escape in transit, or develop sickness.

It doesn't seem to matter if it's a cat from the SPCA (although we've had bad experiences with that source twice now) or a pet shop. It's the same result.

It's tough because we immediately invest our love and care and bond with animals quickly. Then it becomes a wrench when something happens to them. With cats, it seems that inevitably happens.

The upshot being a wariness and a reluctance to get involved with cats. Sorry team.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: