Monday, August 24, 2026

I can't tell you how much I would like to step into that view (Bill Bryson)

Kindred Spirits - Asher Brown Durand


Wie geht's?

Bill Bryson's two books A Walk in the Woods and Down Under were published together in an omnibus edition called Walkabout. I have read a few of his books before, but not these two, so I gobbled up this edition for a dollar during a closing down sale of a local second hand bookstore in Waipukerau.

The Appalachian Trail (AT) is the focus of his Walk in the Woods. During which he writes effusively about the Kindred Spirits painting - which is a heavily idealised view of the woods. The reality of the woods is a different matter.

The description of his walks along part of the AT is a pretty honest one. BB doesn't skimp on the hardships and misery involved at times on the journey, while there is also a wide-eyed euphoric appreciation of the impressive views.

As I read, I couldn't help thinking about my excursion up Mt Tamalpais with Mike Rowbottam and dreams of walking the Camino. 

Hiking along mountain trails, through dense woods, and staying in miserable conditions in cabins with strangers is not my thing. But walking is.

It's interesting reading the book alongside Gary Snyder's The Practice of the Wild. In his essay The Etiquette of Freedom he writes about walking:

Walking is the great adventure, the first mediation, a practice of heartiness and soul primary to humankind. Walking is the exact balance of spirit and humility.

I'm sure BB would concur.

Back to Synder - Human beings are audacious. They set out to have adventures and try to do more than perhaps they should.

Hence my quest to walk the Camino at some point in the next ten years. It would be audacious but worthwhile in terms of a learning experience.

Snyder again - Some of us have learned much from travelling day after day on foot over snowfields, rockslides, passes, torrents, and valley floor forests, "putting ourselves out there".

I'm halfway through A Walk in the Woods, and BB has yet to share revelations about what he's learned about himself. As I read on, I'll be looking out for some specific reference to that.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: