Thursday, March 13, 2014

In a gadda da vida, honey, don't you know that I'm lovin' you (Iron Butterfly)

SWMBO has been getting regular night shifts of late which has, amazingly, coincided with me purchasing MAD MEN Season 6 on DVD. What are the odds eh?



SWMBO doesn't like Mad Men. I love it

Have I blogged on this before? Of course! Every time a new season emerges on DVD I have to have it immediately.

Why do I love it?


The advertising world fascinates me. I used to love thirtysomething (haven't bought that on DVD yet - it's very much of its time - the eighties, and I get stuck on the hair and fashion).

Mad Men is set in the sixties - so the hair and fashions are part of the shows appeal. Harry hasn't had a word to say yet (I'm about 3 episodes in) in this season but his hairstyle marks him out in every scene he's in.

The women characters are amazingly well written. Joan is an amazing presence in the office; Betty (January Jones) is all ice cool blond. The scenes where she tries to find her step daughter in a junky haven tenement were brilliantly written. The sub text at work in her acting was incredible.

The characters are an interesting mix of goodness and badness - Roger, Don, Peter - the power men of the show are not stereotypical, nor are they black and white. Only one show on TV would have the nouse to have Roger Sterling metaphorically curl up into a fetal position at his mother's funeral.

I've started off a colleague on Season one and he's hooked already! If you've somehow avoided the show until now - climb aboard!

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: