Friday, April 29, 2011

Bring me my spear, o clouds unfold (William Blake)

I thought I'd be really different and do a post about the wedding of William and Katherine Windsor, after all - no one else will think to write about it surely.

We watched in our Al Ain apartment, transfixed by the spectacle, the glamour, the pomp and ceremony of a good old fashioned British royal wedding. I guess that scene was reproduced all over the commonwealth and beyond.

It did the heart glad to feel part of that tradition and be in Westminster Abbey again. I love the Abbey and I love symbols; a wedding is full of them.

I particularly liked the idea that the couple signed the marriage certificates in the presence of Edward the Confessor.

His tomb at Westminster Abbey is an extremely imposing ediface. You can't help but feel humble in its company. After all - Edward is the patron saint of kings, difficult marriages, and separated spouses! I don't mean to include that titbit to be cynical; I acknowledge the moment for its symbolic spirit of humility.

On such occasions as this I am proud to be a royalist and proud of New Zealand's place in the commonwealth. And isn't it great that the Arch Bishop of Canterbury resembles a Merlin/ Gandolf The Grey character. Fantastic!

So - join with Jacky and me and raise a glass to the newest recruits into the wedded bliss club.

Love and peace - Wozza

No comments: